Mama Does DIY/ Parenting

Adventures in Easter Egg Dying

Easter Egg Dying is probably my favorite DIY Holiday Craft (because I can dye eggs and nothing goes wrong… Usually). When it comes to crafting I am more of a Pinterest Fail Mom than a DIY Diva. My skills (don’t laugh family) in crafting are limited to a a few tried and true projects. I can make amazing tulle tutus. Tie Dye. Sponge Painting. Handmade holiday cards or gifts centered around a hand or footprint. AND I can dye Easter Eggs. I don’t just Dye Easter Eggs, I dye blown Easter Eggs. Yes, blown eggs.

Easter’s as a child involved a pretty dress and a trip to my Grandma and Poppa’s house. I would run the grape vineyard, usually getting dirty and getting into trouble. We would eat ham, mashed potatoes, ham gravy. There would be pickled eggs, and deviled eggs, and potato salad, and a bowl of eggs that were off limits. And, I was reminded of this often. (I was a little bit of a shit when I was a girl.) When I got older and we celebrated Easter at home, the menu remained the same, and there was a new bowl of, “Eggs you better leave alone, Ally.”

Whether long ago, in a house in West Virginia there was a similar bowl my Mama and Aunt weren’t allowed to touch I have no idea. What I know is my Grandma had a bowl of blown eggs that my Mama, Aunt, and she had dyed long before I was born. My Mama had her own bowl, dyed by my sister and I and several extra beautiful ones that had hand painted designs that she had dyed, herself. (Mama is crafty, she was a DIY Diva before Pinterest.)

So when Harper’s best friend came to spend the night I decided it was a great day to pull the trigger on some awesome eggs. Harper and I had already blown 2 dozen eggs the day before (to watch Harper and I’s fabulous Egg Blowing Demonstration Click Here) and I boiled two more dozen, because this Mama goes big (and in case things go wrong).

4 Different Easter Egg Dying Methods
3 Successful and 1 Not so Much Egg Dying Experiments

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
Round 1: Dying Eggs with Margarine

In round one we dyed the eggs with a regular egg dying kit (you know the ones that you buy at the store for a buck or two). The twist was to add a spoonful of melted margarine into each dye color bowl. From what I read online this was supposed to create a tie-dye like effect. The girls set out to dying, Bacon Beer Hubby set out to taking pics, and I set out to not let the girls stain my carpet or the dog steal one of the hard boiled eggs. The end result was not very pretty. The girls had fun but either my margarine is not groovy enough for tie dye eggs or something went wrong.

Harper and her Bestie Dying Eggs

Round 2: Dying Eggs with Oil

I almost didn’t do this one because it was rather similar to the margarine one, and the margarine one sounded so odd I figured it would make the eggs extra coo, and instead it was an epic fail. I am glad I went ahead with it anyhow. Once again we used a box dying kit as our base. The difference this time was in addition we set up two small bowls with about 1/2 inch of vinegar and then the girls picked 2 food coloring shades which we added to those. Then we added a shot or so of olive oil to both. The girls dyed their eggs in the regular colors and then rolled their eggs in the oil/dye mix before putting them up to dry. Right away these looked cooler than round 1. I was breathing a sigh of relief. At least these eggs weren’t hideous.

Round 2: Dying Eggs with Oil and an Egg Dying Kit

Round 3: Whipped Cream Dyed Eggs

This was the one I knew the girls would be most excited to try. And when I pulled out the pans and started filling them with spray whipped cream they were more than a little excited. With this method you fill pans with spray whipped cream and then add drops of food coloring randomly on to the whipped cream. I tried to make sure the colors all went well together. And I did my best to be a bit heavy handed with the food coloring. The girls then rolled the eggs in the whipped cream, getting swirls of different colors and whipped cream all over the eggs. You then set the eggs aside, coated in whipped cream, for about 5 minutes to let the dye set. (since we were midway through the egg dying adventure we actually left our to sit in whipped dye for about 20 minutes.) Bacon Beer Hubby loved this method and how the eggs turned out, he said the words “they look like swirled planets” about 7 times. Of course the girls loved it as well.

Dying Eggs with Whipped Cream, as someone once said, “They look like swirled planets.”

The Final Round Eggs Dyed with Paper Towels and Food Coloring

This method was the most complex. It also had the most intricate and bright results. It is also the reason my carpet is stained, and all our fingers were for a couple days. With this method you fill a spray bottle with vinegar. Then you mist a paper towel with a bit of vinegar, lay the egg in the slightly moist paper towel, and then you are supposed to wrap the egg in the towel and secure it with a rubberband. We secured ours with pipe cleaners I found in my craft bin, because I quite honestly didn’t think I could get a rubberband to hold on a paper towel without tearing it. The next step is to drip food coloring directly onto the paper towel-wrapped eggs. Once you have the eggs soaked in dye the way you want it you spray the paper towels with vinegar again, soaking them pretty good. Then set them aside for one hour. After an hour remove paper towels, rinse eggs and viola! The girls had a blast with this method and so did my Hubby. The eggs turned out awesomely funky!

Paper-towel Egg Dying: Or How to Dye Your Fingers and Any Furniture Nearby

Okay so what have I learned from this eggtastic adventure? First, I need to come up with some more recipes for hard boiled eggs (especially in my household where I am the only one who likes deviled eggs)! I think everyone involved agreed the margarine method is one we won’t try again. I really liked how the oil eggs turned out. And, it was easy and relatively mess-minimal. No, the eggs aren’t as “funky and unique” as the whipped cream or paper towel eggs. But, it was an easy tweak to standard egg dying that gave us awesome results. We will definitely do the whipped cream eggs again, it was fun for the kids and the eggs turned out cool. Next year we will go all out with the food coloring though, I thought I had added enough but I think maybe I should have thrown caution to the wind and just squeezed out loads of dye and we would have gotten more vibrant color swirls.

The split decision lies with the paper towel eggs. The kids and Bacon Beer Hubby are adamant we have to do these again. If we do we will be using latex gloves next go round. And a drop cloth surrounding the kids, because there are specks of dye just about every where within 6 feet of where the girls were working. Also, the eggs that turned out the best were the ones the kids literally soaked in food coloring, so it would seem the best method with this dye job is to not hold back on the dye at all. I think the paper towel eggs looked the coolest, I also think they are the perfect project for slightly older kids or just ultra motivated crating alone Moms. I guess we will see next year if we make another go of it.

So there you have it. We dyed 4 dozen eggs, though the dog stole one, and a few were dropped and didn’t make the pictures. We dyed our fingers and learned that maybe gloves would have been a worthy investment. The girls had fun, and nothing was ruined. Overall while some of the eggs didn’t turn out perfect it was a great afternoon of egg and finger tip dying. I almost can’t wait for next year, almost…

Mama Loves to Save on Groceries! (Who Doesn’t?!?)

SavingStar, Inc. Save on groceries with no clipping and no printing today

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

Jessica Taylor
    April 2, 2017 at 12:28 am

Tie die eggs? SUPER cool! Never would have tried these techniques.

Gina
    April 2, 2017 at 9:28 am

What a great idea. Even as an adult, these look like fun to make.

indah nuria savitri
    April 2, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Those eggs look great! I love to see the one with the whipped cream and the oil! Fantastic colors..

Amber Myers
    April 2, 2017 at 2:29 pm

These would be cool! My daughter loves to dye eggs.
    Amber Myers recently posted…How To Get A Teenager To Clean With A Wajt Najt Laundry BagMy Profile

Megan
    April 2, 2017 at 2:44 pm

I’d never even heard of the margarine or oil method!! That’s so cool though! I wish you had a picture of the final product from the paper towel method! Sure seems like those would be the most vibrant! Thanks for sharing!

Mama Ally
      April 2, 2017 at 6:40 pm

They were, and still are, if you look in the featured pic, there should be one there. It is the brightest one with some white.

Ashley
    April 2, 2017 at 2:46 pm

I have always wondered how the easter eggs are made, wow, I am super stoked! I plan to do this during the easter holidays with the family. must must try!

sondra barker
    April 2, 2017 at 4:21 pm

These eggs are so cute! I’ll have to admit, I’m an adult who still loves to dye eggs every year.

Author Brandi Kennedy
    April 2, 2017 at 4:27 pm

These look like a ton of fun, and I love the idea of being able to blow the eggs out so that you can keep the pretty shells to display later! I’d love to do the whipped cream ones with my girls.
    Author Brandi Kennedy recently posted…Quarterly Goals 2017, #2My Profile

David Elliott
    April 2, 2017 at 6:39 pm

I am sure that my oreo would attempt to steal an egg if he could. Your eggs do look like they turned out amazing. I just would never have guessed using whipped cream in the process. I will have to try this out.

Mama Ally
      April 2, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Thank you. yes, Copper has a love of eggs. The whipped cream ones are the most fun in my book, the eggs turn out great and they don’t make a huge mess (which is always a nice bonus).

Rose
    April 2, 2017 at 7:11 pm

Love these ideas, especially the whipped cream idea! For your egg recipe ideas try making an egg salad with avocado instead of mayo and add some bacon. It’s delicious! You can spread it on crackers or put it on bread.

Angel
    April 2, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Hey, those whipped-cream dyed eggs kinda look like “swirled planets”.

I never thought to go any further than the box-kit. If I dye eggs in the future, it’s whipped-cream eggs for the kiddies and paper-towel method for the tweens-teens. Your eggs turned out pretty cool 🙂

Melanie Frost
    April 2, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Those are such innovative ways to dye eggs. I usually always just dipped them in coloring and air dried them. We are going to have to try some of these techniques this year.

Erin
    April 2, 2017 at 9:58 pm

Regardless of how all of this turned out, the number one thing that you created this day were memories with your children that will last a lifetime. I remember the VERY first time I dyed eggs with my mama – I must have been 4 years old at the time – and it’s a day that I’ll never forget.

PS – the whipped cream dyed eggs are my fave! They turned out great!

Elizabeth O.
    April 3, 2017 at 7:33 am

I love the whipped cream technique! I think it’s pretty cool and it does resemble space and planets. I really think that people should give it a try, there are so many techniques these days and if you don’t test it out, you won’t know what works for you.

Jackie Lee
    April 3, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I’m always excited to try new ways to dye eggs! I totally want to try the whip cream method this year. The first time I heard about it, they actually used shaving cream, and I was like uh, why don’t we use something edible that doesn’t smell horrible like whipped cream. 🙂 So I’m glad to see I’m not crazy. Thanks for sharing!
    Jackie Lee recently posted…Our Favorite Classroom: Car SchoolMy Profile

Jen
    April 3, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Wow! so pretty you know I am seeing all kinds of fun learning going on here right? 😉 You are one fun mom!
    Jen recently posted…The Day I Remembered I Love HomeschoolingMy Profile

CourtneyLynne
    April 4, 2017 at 11:46 am

Omg just loving the eggs!!! I can’t wait to dye eggs with my daughter. It’s always so much fun

Christine
    April 4, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Great tips. I love how your dog and my dog seem like siblings. I have to watch the eggs around him too! Keep on #DIDI, we love seeing your posts!

Ashlea
    April 5, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I cannot wait to dye Easter eggs with my husband and son. We are going to sometime this week hopefully.

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen
    April 6, 2017 at 3:38 am

Awesome tips! I haven’t tried dyeing easter eggs. We always buy those plastic eggs and that’s what we use. I hope we can try dyeing this year.

Meg
    April 7, 2017 at 7:18 am

That’s dedication to the cause! Haha. I think we’re going to try shaving foam dyed eggs this year (!) I’m guessing similar to your whipped cream eggs? Wish us luck 😉

#brillblogposts

Nay
    April 9, 2017 at 2:09 am

I am not crafty at all but I think even I could manage some of these! They look great.